Utility Bills

On the way towards closing, you should contact the utility billing companies for the home you are purchasing. This is usually done the week before closing, but can be done sooner. You should contact each one and let them know that you just purchased a house and are closing on ____ date. They will change the billing to your name as of the date of your closing. Here are a few to remember to contact:

Water / Sewer
Phone (optional)
Cable (optional)
Internet Provider (optional)

Some cities require you to use the city's garbage collection. Other cities require you to hire a waste hauler. Check with your particular city to see what applies in your area.

Common Electric Providers

Xcel Energy (electricity in most areas, gas in some) 800-895-1999

Common Gas Providers

Centerpoint Energy (gas in most areas) 800-245-2377

Water / Sewer

Most of the cities bill individually for their water services.


Minneapolis Utility Billing provides garbage services. You can read about their collection services here.
St. Paul does not provide garbage services. Please contact one of their approved vendors.
Richfield does not provide garbage services. Please contact one of their approved vendors.
Bloomington has just moved to a consortium of garbage haulers. You will contract with the city to have them haul your garbage and they will allow one of the consortium members to haul your garbage.

© Copyright 2021 - Steven Hong - All Rights Reserved. Each office independently owned and operated.
homepencilenvelopeuserusersstoretagphone-handsetmap-markerlaptop-phoneconstructiongiftleafbullhorn linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram